Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 23: I found some magic

Day 23:
Thursday, May 3, 2012

Today I was inspired to find articles on the topic of kindness. So many folks in my company write articles for our quarterly publication, why not me? Granted I know very little about the construction world but I was looking to find a correlation between kindness and productivity...there's got to be a connection there.

In my digging around for articles, out popped the most amazing, gut wrenching, moving and inspiring website. By 9am, my eyes were swollen from crying and coffee was replaced by Kleenex. Please, remember this website: http://www.rachelschallenge.org/.

Years ago I was at the driving range when my jaw hit the ground. I was getting another basket of driving range balls and the breaking news caught my attention. In fact, it caught the attention of everyone in the pro shop. Shots fired at a local high school in Littleton, Colorado. 

This website was created in honor of  Rachel Scott, the first person to fall victim in the shooting at Columbine High School. Her family started this website dedicated to spreading what other...kindness. They created kindness cards that create a chain reaction. You can track where and what your gesture did online. Meaning, I can send a card from Colorado to someone in Arkansas, that person sends a card to Hawaii, etc. I've requested a card be sent to me so I can circulate it on...can't wait! I asked to be on their mailing list and soon I will make a donation.


How I felt today:
After reading this website, I was so inspired and reminded that we have the power to create our life. Our life purpose might be right in front of us, and it might come out of  an experience we have.  I also felt sorrow and sadness for not only the family of Rachel but all the families, friends and communities that experienced this tragedy. Even though it has been years, when you step back into the articles and TV clips you are brought back to the moment it began.

Lessons learned:
 Reading inspirational stories has a profound affect on me. It lifts me up, inspires me and reminds me to pay attention to the significance in my life. What am I doing to live my life rather than just experience it?





No comments:

Post a Comment