Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 18: An odd way to remember...


Day 18
Saturday, April 29, 2012

This evening we had dinner with my husbands friend and his family, none of whom I had met before.


Well tonight, we had a very interesting dinner. Kurts friends "John" is great and his two boys are great as well. His wife..."Psyco OCD" was pretty much just that. She asked the most inappropriate questions, monopolized all conversation and asked Kurt and I each only one question throughout the night.

Her boys are 5+ but still use sippy cups because she's worried they'll spill. Shared with us her unique ability to determine if someone is "useless" or not within 30 minutes and within 5 minutes of being at her house were made aware of her husbands "insanely large"nose. What's that you ask...? No, I am not kidding. I could go on.

Thank goodness 9pm arrived which meant time to go as it was Izzy's bedtime. (I love having a child to blame for our early departure).

The moment we got into the car, Kurt and I looked at each other in amazement and rehashed the entire night. We were just witness to a "crazy".

At the risk of sounding callous, she was a great benchmark for us both to use in judging our relationship and what makes our life tick. We were so grateful to each other for being normal and the perfect fit for the other person. 

My husband and I love each other but we're usually too busy teasing or playing with each other to ever speak the words, "I love you" very seriously. We'll say it heading out for work in the morning or if one of us fed the dog, etc. But tonight, it was nice to say (and hear) a sincere "I love you".

What we learned from each other:
That we like our definition of "normal" and we should probably pay more attention to saying "I love you". We also were reminded that we both think alike. Sometimes it takes a strange situation to remember that you love someone!

What I learned:
That I like my messy house, cluttered utensil drawer and if there's an opposite of OCD, I'm it. I know my husband appreciated me more tonight that he probably ever did before! 

Lessons learned:
That I'm judgmental and shouldn't be. I should've taken the high road with the "Psycho OCD" and thought about what happened in her childhood that created her crazy disposition but I didn't. For some reason it appeased both Kurt and I to gossip about her versus give her the benefit of the doubt.  I don't like that part of me but I guess I tend to do it when I just don't understand something/someone.




No comments:

Post a Comment